The Alabama Seafood Marketing Commission (ASMC) – in partnership with the Alabama Department of Agriculture & Industries – announced today dates for the 4th Annual Alabama Seafood Summit, set to take place Wednesday, May 25, and Thursday, May 26, at The Wharf at Orange Beach.
The Summit historically connects seafood processors, grocers, and restaurateurs/chefs in an informative environment to achieve a better understanding and sense of community in the industry – all while providing the opportunity for individuals to expand professional relationships and connections.
This marks the first time the event has been held in the Orange Beach/Gulf Shores area.
“Annually, this event provides those of us directly tied to the Alabama seafood industry with a shared stage to collaborate with likeminded peers for conversations around a number of critical topics affecting us today,” said Chris Blankenship, program administrator for the ASMC and director of Alabama Marine Resources. “We are excited to bring this year’s event to the Gulf Coast and look forward to a beneficial day for all attendees.”
“We are excited to be collaborating with the Commission again to bring together all facets of the state’s Gulf seafood community,” said Alabama Department of Agriculture & Industries Commissioner John McMillan. “Creating an opportunity for dialogue and relationship building are all part of continuing to promote and support this valuable industry.”
Wednesday, May 25 will consist of a Welcome Reception onsite at the 2nd Annual Alabama Seafood Cook-Off also at The Wharf.
Thursday, May 26 will begin at 8:30 a.m. with activities lasting until 2 p.m. including panel discussions, networking, and seminars focusing on multiple aspects of the seafood trade and led by keynote speakers, including the following. (Other panelists to be announced.)
- Commissioner John McMillan, Alabama Department of Agriculture and Industries
- Alabama Director of Marine Resources and Program Administrator for ASMC Chris Blankenship
- Founding Editor of MyRecipes.com and Oyster Obsession Jason Burnett
- Executive Chef of the Flora-Bama Yacht Club and founder of the NUISANCE Group Chris Sherrill
- Captain Troy Frady, owner of Distraction Charters
- Grocery industry panel discussion including representatives from Publix, Western Supermarkets, Rouses and Food Giant led by President of the Alabama Grocers Association Ellie Taylor
- Restaurant industry panel discussion led by President and CEO of the Alabama Restaurant & Hospitality Alliance Mindy Hanan.
Alabama’s seafood industry provides significant jobs, income, and sales impact in the state. More than 11,000 jobs just in coastal Alabama are directly related to the seafood industry with a total economic impact of $499,000,000 statewide annually.
“Each year we work to make the next Summit even better,” said Blankenship. “Not only do we have another great list of speakers, but also hosting the Alabama Seafood Cook-Off as our kick-off event will be a great addition where attendees can see some of the best chefs in the state highlight the great product we get from the Gulf.”
For more information about the Alabama Seafood Summit or to register, please email Big Communications Outreach Coordinator Tyler Hatcher at email@example.com.