Sold-out event to benefit Auburn University’s sustainable oyster harvesting efforts
Auburn, Ala. (Jan. 20, 2015) – Lauded chefs from across the Southeast will come together for the sold-out Alabama Oyster Social, to be held Friday, Jan. 30, at 6:00 p.m. at Acre Restaurant, located at 210 East Glenn Avenue in Auburn. The culinary event will celebrate the state’s Gulf Coast oyster farmers and help raise money for an Auburn University Scholarship fund that will assist School of Fisheries & Aquaculture students in sustainable Gulf oyster research efforts.
“The Auburn University Shellfish Laboratory – led by Dr. Bill Walton – is leading the state’s efforts in educating students and future industry leaders on the sustainable efforts of Alabama oyster farmers,” said Chris Blankenship, director of Alabama Marine Resources and program administrator for the Alabama Seafood Marketing Commission (ASMC). “We applaud participating southern restaurateurs, oystermen, brewers, distillers, vintners and shellfish enthusiasts in coming together for this special event.”
The event will feature Alabama Gulf Oysters prepared by chefs Jason Stanhope of FIG (Charleston, S.C.); Adam Evans of The Optimist (Atlanta, Ga.); and Alabama chefs Rob McDaniel (Springhouse in Alexander City; 2013 James Beard Award Semifinalist), Wesley True (two-time James Beard Award semifinalist for Best Chef in the South) and David Bancroft (Acre). Oysters will be complemented by spirits and brews provided by Back Forty Beer, Cathead Distillery, Sazerac Bourbon, International Wine and Pinnacle Imports.
Menu items for the evening social include:
- Gulf Coast “Fritto Misto” with Royal Red Shrimp, Oysters & Grouper (Chef Jason Stanhope)
- Charbroiled Oysters with Garlic, Parmesan & Black Pepper and Chilled Oysters with Fresh Horseradish Mignonette (Chef Adam Evans)
- Oyster Stew with Chickweed, SpringHouse 20-Month Ham & Black Walnut Vinaigrette and Grilled Gulf Octopus with Sea Island Red Pea Hummus, Picholine Olives, Cipollini Onions & Smooth Sumac (Chef Rob McDaniel)
- Poached Oysters in Ham Hock Broth with Parmesan Meringue & Pistachio (Chef Wesley True)
- Raw Oysters w/ Asst. Condiments (Pear Vinegar Mignonette, Fermented Habanero Hot Sauce, Harissa Cocktail, Mustard Green Chimmi), Smoked Auburn Catfish Fritters with Beet-Red Pepper Jelly and Oyster Donuts with Dark Chocolate Horseradish Ganache (Chef David Bancroft)
“I am proud to host a culinary social that will not only highlight the skills of chefs from across the southeast, but will also increase knowledge of Auburn’s unique program,” said Chef Bancroft.
For more information, please visit AlabamaOysterSocial.com.
To learn more about Auburn University’s Shellfish Laboratory and the School of Fisheries and Aquaculture, please visit ACES.edu and SFAAS.Auburn.edu, respectively.