Fresh Gulf seafood may make you think of the long, hot summer months, especially those cherished beach vacations.
But as the cooler weather begins to set in and it’s time to enjoy the great outdoors for a few more weeks, it’s clear that October is the perfect time for National Seafood Month.
No matter what type of Gulf seafood you prefer, you’ll find something to love in season this month. Oyster season has just begun, blue crab and shrimp are caught fresh in the fall, and there are plenty of premier fish like Amberjack, Flounder, and Grouper that are in season and on the menu.
That’s why Alabama Gulf Seafood will be featured during the month of October at numerous foodie events throughout the state. Here’s a look at where we’ll be this month:
- BayFest (Mobile, Oct. 3-5) – BayFest is one of Alabama’s biggest music events of the year, featuring the likes of Jane’s Addiction, Kid Rock, Alabama, Brantley Gilbert, Earth Wind & Fire, Ludacris, The Roots, and Foster the People. We’ll be serving up plenty of fresh Alabama Gulf Seafood in the VIP area all weekend long.
- L.A. Gumbo Festival “Tailgate Edition” (Orange Beach, Oct. 4) – When some of the best seafood chefs in the Southeast square off to cook up the perfect pot of Gulf seafood gumbo, everybody wins. And because this is the “Tailgate Edition,” hosted by our friends at Baumhower’s, you won’t have to worry about missing all of the day’s college football action, thanks to a slew of outdoor TVs and SEC-themed activities for the whole family.
- Breakin’ Bread (Birmingham, Oct. 5) – You don’t have to be right on Alabama’s Coast to be near a great Gulf seafood event. Birmingham Originals will host the 11th Annual Breakin’ Bread event, celebrating the best food and drink that the Magic City has to offer, including plenty of Gulf seafood cooked up by award-winning chefs.
- 43rd Annual National Shrimp Festival (Gulf Shores, Oct. 9-12) – One of the biggest seafood events in the world, the 43rd Annual National Shrimp Festival attracts more than 250,000 people every year for live music, fine arts, retail vendors, and lots of excellent cooking demos from some of the best Gulf seafood chefs on the coast. And, of course, more fresh, delicious Gulf shrimp than you can imagine.
- Baumhower’s ShrimpFest & Bar-B-Q (Birmingham, Oct. 11) – All year long, Gulf seafood connoisseur Bob Baumhower has been cooking up fresh Gulf shrimp at state parks throughout Alabama. Oak Mountain State Park is the last stop on his tour, so come enjoy all the fresh Gulf shrimp you can eat!
- 3rd Annual Alabama Festival of Flavor (Foley, Oct. 16-18) – Another excellent celebration of local fare, the 3rd Annual Alabama Festival of Flavor will feature plenty of fresh Gulf seafood and live cooking demonstrations from well-known local chefs.
- Southern Reinvention (Elkmont, Oct. 18) – This inaugural event will bring together some of the South’s finest tastemakers, from menswear designer Billy Reid to the folks of Cooking Light magazine, to celebrate our culinary traditions and carry them on in a sustainable manner. Naturally, fresh Gulf seafood will be involved.
- Run Forrest Run 5K (Fairhope, Oct. 25) – Alabama’s favorite fictional ambassador turns 20 this year. (Well, his cinematic namesake does). In honor of “Forrest Gump,” the folks at Fairhope Local are sponsoring a commemorative 5K and 1-Mile Fun Run; and once you’ve hit the finish line, stick around as local restaurants cook up tons of fresh Gulf shrimp!
No matter what neck of the woods you live in, there’s a great Alabama Gulf Seafood event near you this month.
And if you want to celebrate National Seafood Month in your own kitchen all month long, check out our recipes section for 100+ great spins on Alabama Gulf Seafood.