Thanks to warm waters, long summers and an abundance of tasty catches, fresh Alabama Gulf Seafood can be found all year long.
But like all good things in life, seafood warrants a specific time of appreciation every year. And that time is now: October is National Seafood Month.
No matter what type of seafood you prefer, you’ll find something to love in season this month. Oyster season has just begun, blue crab and shrimp are caught fresh in the fall, and there are plenty of premier fish like Amberjack, Flounder and Grouper that are in season. And don’t forget about the extra two weeks of Red Snapper season during the first half of the month.
If you’d rather get more adventurous with your seafood this month, we’ll be sponsoring lots of events throughout the state:
- BayFest (Mobile, Oct. 4-6) – BayFest is Mobile’s biggest music event of the year, and we’ll be serving up plenty of fresh seafood in the VIP area all weekend long.
- 42nd Annual National Shrimp Festival (Mobile, Oct. 10-13) – One of the biggest seafood events in the world, the 42nd Annual National Shrimp Festival attracts more than 250,000 people every year for live music, fine arts, retail vendors and, of course, more fresh, delicious shrimp that you can imagine.
- Break ‘n Bread (Birmingham, Oct. 13) – You don’t have to be right on the coast to be near a great seafood event this month. The Birmingham Originals will put on the 10th Break ‘n Bread festival, celebrating the best food and drink that Alabama has to offer. Be sure to stop by the Alabama Gulf Seafood tent.
- 2nd Annual Alabama Festival of Flavors (Foley, Oct. 18-19) – Another celebration of local fare, the 2nd Annual Alabama Festival of Flavors will feature plenty of fresh seafood and live cooking demonstrations from well-known local chefs.
- Alabama Restaurant Association’s Stars of the Industry Dinner (Mobile, Oct. 28) – National Seafood Month will wrap up at the Battle House in Mobile as the ARA honors the best of Alabama’s lodging, tourism and restaurant industries, featuring fresh Alabama Gulf Seafood prepared by some of the state’s finest chefs.
And while you’re making plans for celebrating National Seafood Month, don’t forget to enter our Alabama Gulf Seafood Getaway Giveaway! One lucky seafood fan will win a trip for four to Alabama’s Gulf Coast, including a three-night stay at The Palms Condominiums (courtesy of Kaiser Realty by Wyndham Vacation Rentals), a half-day of deep-sea fishing with High Cotton Charters, and tickets to the 6th Annual Oyster Cook-Off at The Hangout! Enter before [Oct. 22] to be eligible.
Whether you prefer to catch and cook your own, peruse the aisles of your local seafood market, dine in at your favorite seafood restaurant or go all in at a big event, there are plenty of ways to celebrate National Seafood Month. (Just make sure your seafood comes from the Gulf!)
And if you’re cooking it yourself, be sure to check out our newly updated recipes section for delicious dishes featuring all kinds of Alabama Gulf Seafood.
So grab a friend, grab a fork and eat up.