(August 18, 2015—Gulf Shores, AL) – The Hangout Oyster Cook-Off & Craft Beer Weekend proudly announces participating chefs for its 2015 festival on November 6-7, 2015. The 8th annual event at The Hangout in Gulf Shores, AL attracts some of the Southeast’s best chefs, oyster purveyors, and brewers for a weekend of fun and learning through food, drink, and music.
Featured chefs include Anne Burrell (Food Network), Marc Murphy (Food Network), Jason Roberts (Rachel Ray, The Chew), Martie Duncan (Food Network), Michele Ragussis (NBC’s Food Fighters), Alon Shaya (James Beard Best Chef South Award Winner, 2015), and Ryan Prewitt (James Beard Best Chef South Award Winner, 2014), among many others.
The celebration kicks off on Friday, November 6 with the Craft Beer Festival presented by AL.com. Guests can sample over 60 brews from regional and national breweries, including Cahaba Brewing (Birmingham, AL), Good People Brewing Co. (Birmingham, AL), Straight To Ale (Huntsville, AL), Abita (Abita Springs, LA), Lagunitas (Lagunitas, CA), Fairhope Brewing (Fairhope, AL), Goose Island (Chicago, IL), Oskar Blues (Brevard, NC), and others. The Black Jacket Symphony will perform a live version of Pink Floyd’s “Dark Side of the Moon” album. Tickets for the Friday concert and all-inclusive beer tasting are on sale at www.hangoutcookoff.com.
On Saturday, November 7, guests can sample Alabama Gulf Oysters prepared by over 70 nationally-renowned and local chefs at the Oyster Cook-Off. Featured chefs and restaurants include:
- Kevin Nashan, Sidney Street Café, St. Louis, MO (2014 James Beard Best Chef Midwest Finalist)
- Matt Bolus, 404 Kitchen, Nashville, TN (2014 James Beard New Restaurant South Semi-Finalist)
- Greg Baker, The Refinery, Tampa, FL (four-time James Beard Best Chef South Semi-Finalist)
- Derek Emerson, Walker’s Drive-In, Jackson, MS (four-time James Beard Best Chef South Semi-Finalist)
- Bill Smith, Crook’s Corner, Chapel Hill, NC (author of Crabs & Oysters, James Beard America’s Classic winner)
- Chris Kelly and Chris Sherrill, Flora-Bama, Perdido Key, FL (Kelly was the 2014 Oyster Cook-Off winner)
- Alabama-based chefs including Brody Olive, Eddie Spence, Matthew Pugh and Tres Jackson.
Saturday’s family friendly atmosphere includes music from Lennon & Maisy of ABC’s “Nashville” and the New Breed Brass Band. The weekend celebrates college football with areas for guests to tailgate and watch SEC football.
A new addition to this year’s event is the North American Oyster Showcase, featuring over 30 North American oyster growers. An esteemed panel of judges will taste oysters from seven regions flown in fresh for the showcase. Guests are invited to try each variety at our North American Raw Oyster Bar.
Admission to Saturday’s Oyster Cook-Off is $10 per person, with tasting tickets for oysters, beer, Bloody Marys, and cocktails available for purchase. A limited number of Weekend VIP tickets are available for $150 per person, which includes admission to the Friday Craft Beer Festival, chef meet and greets, exclusive chef tastings, and admission to a private “Chefs Only” after party. Tickets may be purchased online at www.hangoutcookoff.com.
For updates on events and participants, visit www.hangoutcookoff.com or follow the festival on Twitter (@hangoutcookoff), Instagram (@hangoutcookoff), and Facebook.