The summer sure took its time packing up for good this year, but cool weather is now in season—and that means Gulf Coast oysters are on the menu.
And to celebrate these magnificent mollusks in the proper manner, we’re kicking off November with our friends at The Hangout for their 11th annual Hangout Oyster Cook-Off & Craft Beer Weekend November 2nd & 3rd!
If you’ve never been before, you’re missing out on one of the premier seafood events on the Gulf Coast. Chefs from all over the country congregate in Gulf Shores to try their hand at three different styles of Gulf Coast oysters: Cajun, Rockefeller, and “create your own raw oysters.
Patrons can buy tasting tickets and sample whatever oysters catch your eye, all while enjoying craft beers from more than 30 breweries. And be sure to vote for your favorite oysters so that the hard-working chefs and restaurateurs can get the awards and recognition they deserve.
But wait, there’s more!
Throughout the weekend, there’ll be cooking demos and workshops, a North American Oyster Showcase, a best tasting tailgate competition, and live music from rising country star Michael Ray, with special guests the Red Clay Strays.
Oh, and in case you’re wondering—yes, there’ll be plenty of TVs with college football on all over the event map. So you don’t have to worry about missing Alabama vs. LSU.
Want to know who all’s on the menu? Here are the Alabama grillmasters you can expect to see on Saturday:
- Martie Duncan of Food Network Star
- Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson BBQ
- Jim Smith of Top Chef
- Pete Blohme of Panini Pete’s & Ed’s Seafood Shed
- Brody Olive of Voyagers at Perdido Beach Resort
- Jeremy Downey of Bistro V
- Chris Rainosek of The Noble South
- Jason McGarry of Central
- John Hamme of Coast Restaurant at The Beach Club
- Bryan Cates of Kitchen On George
- Nate Slone of Rotolo’s Pizzeria
- Josh Quick of Odette
- R. Hawkins of Picnic Beach
- Joey Dickerson of Fancy’s On 5th
- Zach Peninger of Gulf Island Grill
- Brandon Lykins of King Neptune’s Seafood
- Marcus Walden of The Hangout
- Michelle Adair of Sunliner Diner
- Justin Componation of The Gulf
- Tim Hensley of The Royal Oyster
- Joshua Mileski of Bar 45 at One Club
- Landon Benton of Salt at San Roc Cay
- Jeremiah Matthews of Southwood Kitchen
- TBD of Live Bait
You can find a full list of chefs here.
Whether you’re a die-hard oyster lover or you’ll be sampling for the first time, there’s no better opportunity to dig in on fresh Gulf Coast oysters than the Hangout Oyster Cook-Off. See y’all next weekend!