What you need
- 6-8oz Redfish filet
- 1 avocado, halved, cored, and chopped
- 4 tomatoes, halved, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 3 jalapeños, halved, seeded, minced
- 1 sweet Vidalia onion, small dice
- 1.5 tbsp. garlic, minced
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
- 2 limes, zest and juice
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds, ground, toasted
- 2 tbsp. coriander seeds, toasted
- 1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
- Creole seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
Prepare the pico de gallo in advance by mixing all ingredients together in a stainless steel bowl.
Soak mesquite chips for thirty minutes in a mini smoke box, then light your grill and preheat to 400 degrees. Place the smoke box in the grill until smoking. Place the avocados hole side down for 4-5 minutes on each side. (This will not take long as the mesquite is a very strong wood and the avocados are very porous.)
Cool for 30 minutes and set aside. Once the avocados are cool, add them to the pico de gallo, then let stand for 30 minutes.
To prepare the Redfish, make sure the bloodline is removed, then oil the fish heavily and dredge heavily with your favorite Creole seasoning. Let sit for 5 minutes to absorb seasoning (so that it won’t burn).
Heat a cast iron skillet or a heavy duty sauté pan until slightly smoking. Place Redfish in pan and blacken for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Remove from head and top with pico de gallo and serve.