What you need
- 12 oz fresh jumbo lump crabmeat, drained and picked over
- 12 oz fresh lump crabmeat, drained and picked over
- 4 1/2 tbsp. salted butter, melted and cooled
- 4 1/2 tbsp. chopped scallions (from 4 scallions)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 1/2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon zest plus 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. fresh juice (from 1 lemon)
- 1 1/2 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 large garlic clove, minced (about 2 tsp.)
- 2 1/4 c. panko (Japanese-style breadcrumbs), divided
- 4 tbsp. canola oil
- 2 medium-size green tomatoes, thinly sliced and cut into matchsticks (about 2 cups)
- 1 celery stalk, thinly sliced (about 1⁄2 cup)
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
Flavored with fresh herbs, lemon, and a hint of hot sauce, and coated with crunchy panko breadcrumbs, these crab cakes truly live up to their name. The tangy and crisp slaw is a fantastic accompaniment to this dish, or any type of fried seafood.
Prepare the Crab Cakes: Place first 11 ingredients and 1 3⁄4 cups of the panko in a large bowl, and gently combine.
Shape crabmeat mixture into 6 (3-inch) cakes, about 6 1⁄2 ounces each. Sprinkle remaining 1⁄2 cup panko on a large plate; gently transfer cakes to plate, pressing both sides in panko. Cover and chill until slightly firm, about 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high. Gently reshape 3 Crab Cakes, and place in hot oil. Cook until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a wire rack set in a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining oil and cakes. Place baking sheet in preheated oven, and bake cakes until heated through, about 10 minutes.
Prepare the Green Tomato Slaw: Toss together all slaw ingredients (last 10 ingredients), and serve over Crab Cakes.