What you need
- 1 1/2 lb. Albacore Tuna loin or steaks (skin & bloodline removed)
- 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. garlic, chopped
- 1/2 c. scallions, chopped
- 2 sprigs thyme leaves
- 1 bunch Italian parsley leaves
- 15 oz (1 can) organic Cannellini beans, drained
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 each orange, zested then segmented (save orange pieces for salad but extract all other juices into beans
- 1 tbsp. organic white miso paste
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/2 c. Shoyu or quality soy sauce
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/4 c. sesame oil
- 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 tsp. Calabrian chili paste
- 1 tsp. corn starch
- 8 oz seaweed salad (find at your favorite sushi department)
- 1 c. pickled ginger, julienned
- 1 tbsp. scallions, bias sliced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
Seared Albacore Tuna
Rub Tuna generously with Garlic Scallion Sea Salt Herb Rub. Heat skillet over a medium high heat and coat lightly with oil. Lay the Tuna loin gently in a hot pan and sear for 1 minute on each side to form a slight crust. Carefully and quickly so that the rest of the Tuna should remain raw. Then remove from pan and place on a cutting board. Let rest for 1 minute and slice like Sashimi into thin slices (¼”).
Garlic Scallion Sea Salt Herb Rub
Blend ingredients (1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1 tablespoon garlic, 1/2 cup scallions, 2 sprigs thyme leaves, 1 bunch parsley, sea salt and black pepper to taste) well in a small food processor or blender. Season to taste, then generously rub on fish.
Miso Cannellini Bean Puree
Combine olive oil (2 tablespoons), miso, honey, orange juice, and zest in a bowl. Add beans to mixture and season to taste with salt and pepper. Mash or place in food processor and reserve.
Soy Calabrian Chili Paste Glaze
Mix corn starch and 1 tablespoon of water into a slurry in a bowl. Add all other ingredients (soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, minced garlic, chili paste) to the saucepan and simmer on high for 2 minutes. Add corn starch water mixture and set the saucepan to low and let thicken. (Consistency should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.)
Plating and Serving
Set out your serving platter or individual dishes. Smear the bean puree across the bottom of the plate or platter like a swoosh with back of a spoon. Arrange the sashimi style ¼” thick Tuna slices on the puree. Place the seaweed salad (8oz seaweed salad, 1 cup julienned pickled ginger, 1 tablespoon bias sliced scallions) next to fish and top with orange segments. Drizzle the chili glaze a little over the sliced fish and the remainder around the edge of the plates for guests to take as desired. Drizzle the remainder of the garlic scallion herb rub around on the plate for extra pop of flavor and color.