What you need
- 2 Strawberry Grouper filets (cut into 4oz portions)
- 1 tbsp. Togarashi (see recipe)
- 3 tbsp. oil (for searing)
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 lb. Rock Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tbsp. Mirin rice wine
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 egg white
- 1 tbsp. ginger, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. cilantro, chopped
- 2 whites of green onions
- 5 c. vegetable oil (for frying)
- 1/4 c. jicama, finely diced
- 8 slices French bread, thinly sliced with edges trimmed
- 1 tsp. poppy seed
- 3 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. black sesame seed, toasted
- 3 tsp. tangerine peel, dried
- 1 tsp. nori, dried
- 3 tsp. Szechuan peppercorns
- 2 tsp. white sesame seed, toasted
- 2 c. field peas
- 4 spring onion bulbs
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 5 assorted baby radishes
- 1 sprig mint
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the Grouper
Dust filets with togarashi, then heat on medium in a sauté pan with oil. Once oil is hot, sear fish on both sides, cut heat off, and cover to finish cooking.
For the Rock Shrimp
Using food processor, pulse the mirin, sesame oil, egg white, ginger ,and shrimp together. The mixture should form a course puree. Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in remaining ingredients, then adjust with salt and pepper. Heat the vegetables in a sauce pan unitl 375 degrees on a deep fat thermometer. Spread the shrimp mixture onto sliced bread evenly to the edges. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Fry a couple pieces at a time shrimp side down first, 30-45 seconds until browned. Place on paper towel to drain.
For the Togarashi
Grind white sesame seeds & Szechuan peppercorns coarsely. Add nori and tangerine, then peel and grind. Mix remaining spices thoroughly.
For the vegetable mixture
Wash and clean peas and onion bulbs. Place peas in boiling water until tender, then strain and shock in ice bath. Split spring onions in half lengthwise, then brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a hot char grill to caramelize and add flavor. Chiffonade the mint and slice the radishes on a mandolin.
For the Miso Pepper Jelly Vinaigrette
Blend Miso Pepper Jelly, rice wine vinegar, lime juice, shallot, olive oil/canola oil, and salt and pepper to taste.